Thursday, December 01, 2005

Thai Experience Part II

//Thai Experience Part II//

So I've talked about welcome dinner and farewell dinner...(both are very fun...)..I've talked about their food...

Let's talk about the Thai students and other students that I met there then...

Once we landed...and clear customs...we were greeted by 2 thai students from Mwits...of which one of them kept staring at me (according the meng...), as to why you will know in a minute...so we've got an hour to kill before the bus departs for the school cause we had to wait for the students from Australia to arrive....

So we sat down at the Burger King at the airport and talked...with much difficulty (a bit of language barrier)...and there are a lot of stoning moments which I'm perfectly used to...both sides tried to think of topics to talked about...ranging from CCA to school hours...etc...none of which lasted very long....until we reached this topic...

HARRY POTTER!

Yea...so they asked us if we've watched the latest movies..etc...and we were talking about the new book "half blooded prince" when the girl (which ming wei said was staring at me) finally asked "are you half-blood"...which stunned me...I didn't know what she meant...at first I thought she was asking "have you read half blooded prince"...so I just answered no....it's only later that I found out that she was asking if I'm pure chinese...

So anyway...the topic of Harry Potter became a rather useful topic...whenever I'm speaking to any student (from anywhere...)...this proved to be a rather useful topic that we can talked about...cause even if they have not read the book...most would have seen the movie...

With the thai students though, there is another thing that I can talk to them about...which is TATA YOUNG! haha....even with my limited knowledge of her, and knowing only 2 songs by her...this proves to be rather useful too, since most Thai students know Tata Young, considering she is from Thailand...

The Thai students are pretty crazy over Korean drama too...every day at 6.30pm you can see students sitting around the canteen or at the level 1 of the boys dorm (with a TV)...watching "Da Chang Jin"...

And there is one more topic which I talked about..but this is not to the Thai students...but to the students from Australia...after visiting their booth...while getting email....I would always pop this question "So do you watch Australian Idol?"...out of the 2 that I asked...one occassionally watched it...the other (Elizabeth) is a fan!! And I actually stood there and briefly discussed about Australian Idol with her for a while...haha...


This is Izzy (the picture of the left)....

She liked Dan England...I liked Kate & Emily...(both got to the final 2!!)

Speaking of that...it's been a year of "unexpectedness" in Idol....firstly...I never expect Daniel to win Malaysian Idol 2....I liked him in the semis, but he seriously did not improve much since then....

And Melissa from Canadian Idol 3, she was my favourite from semi finals too, and she was great throughout (at least to me)...but after being bottom 3 and 2 consecutively in the first 2 weeks...I expected the worst...but she lasted all the way to win it....

As for Kate...I never expected her to win too...Milly was my favourite from semis (along with Kate & Emily), but Milly seriously disappoint week after week in the finals...by the time it's the final 4...I though Kate would be gone (Lee's too popular, Dan's popular too, and Emily's very well liked by the judges) but she went on to outlast Lee & Dan, by the finale, I though Emily had it in the bag...but was pleasantly surprised by her win....

OK...enough of Idol...back to Thailand...it's a pity there is no "Thailand Idol" that would be another great topic...

The poster display and oral presentation went ok...I mean what could go wrong after presenting the same project for so many times...we even helped Juan boon's group...helping them present their poster and explain the project if they are not around....they did the same for us too...imagine Kai Herng talking about plastic...and Jing Kang talked about Heavy Metal Ion adsorption...

The trips out of the school are ok...not very exciting...it can't get too exciting when you're visiting some university faculty of science...the floating market is a bit of a disappointment...it looks like normal roadside stall in Malaysia...just that you can see a little river at the side...

but the visit to this University of Agriculture (or something like that) is rather interesting....seeing how they tricked one male cow to think that the male cow is female...causing the male cow to ejaculate...and collecting the semen...then seeing them injecting this semen into some female cow...

The cultural visit to "Wat Pho" is ok but not very exciting too...the only interesting thing that happened during this trip is the guide keep mistakening us Thai and keep speaking to us in Thai....but I must say Wat Pho is quite beautiful...though everything about it feels very familiar...as if I've already seen it somewhere...

The most "eventful" event has got to be the shopping I guess....who says guys can't shop? It seems like we are pretty determined to spend at least half of our money before going back...we were really 速战速决...I think Kenneth bought 5 shirts (including t shirts) from one shop within 10 to 15 minutes in there...












































And yea...I finally did something that I've wanted to do for a long time there....which is to exercise!!! We played basketball the very first day in their indoor basketball court....the second last day...we also woke up early at 6 to play basketball...followed by running (!!)...I played badminton too...haha...have been wanting to do these for a long time...but there's simply too much other temptation in Singapore...(like I rather sleep more than to wake up early to go running)....

I think this pretty much sums up all that I want to say...I will post more photos (funny ones) once I got hold of them...

No comments: