Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Noel VS Prime

//Noel VS Prime//

Watched 4 movies in 2 days..that must be a record for me...watched "Zathura" & "Aeon Flux" on Monday and "Noel" & "Prime" today....

"Zathura" & "Aeon Flux" turned out to be what I expected them to be...I was pleasantly surprised or badly disappointed by this 2 films...

"Noel" and "Prime" are very surprising though...for different reasons though....

For a short synopsis of the "Noel"...click here....
For a short synopsis of the "Prime"...click here....

PRIME


I marked it down as one of the movies that I must watch this hols...cause I loved this kinda of romantic comedies kind of show...but it seriously sucks...so far I have not said that any movie sucks (well...maybe one...if you count "Sisters" which was pure crap)....

So this is what the movie reminds me of...

It's a compo test!

You've got this GREAT idea for this essay..so you started to write...but somehow...this great idea of yours didn't came out the way you expected it to be..due to your poor writing skills...

You realised..."Shit...I don't have the lingustic talent to express this great idea of mine"...so you decided to crap a little bit here and there so that you can meet the word limit....

But still...you got stuck at a lot of points...despite getting stuck and not knowing how to continue...you press on...crapping your way through....then suddenly...the teacher says "5 minutes left"...

You panick and thought "OMG...I must write a conclusion now.." so you proceed on to end your story...

That pretty much sums up my feelings about this movie...it's a good idea that is poorly executed...ALL the jokes in the movies...the funny parts that are supposed to be funny..all fell flat...much like my jokes...none of them can make it...

But there's this crazy lady, sitting just a row in front of me...she somehow thinks that the jokes are funny...and laughed at single one of them...some which we didn't even realise is a joke...so the whole theatre is pretty much filled with her laughter...I mean seriously...no one else laughed....occasionally the rest of the audience joined her to laugh...just so that she don't feel so bad being the only person "appreciating" the jokes...

NOEL


I didn't wanted to watch "Noel" in the first place...I bet none of you fellas knew that such a movie existed...so far...I think only Plaza Singapura GV shows it...at least for now..it's out on 24th Nov (though I didn't see it on the GV site till a few days ago)....this film in made in 2004 by the way..shown in Singapore only now...

So I just happen to see this film on the GV site...watched the trailer...felt like watching cause the trailer was good (it must be the song...cause I LOVED that song...)..but I was debating whether to watch or not...cause it only has 1 slot...which is 7 pm at Plaza Singapura...decided to watch it in the end afterall...

It was definitely a pleasant surprise...

If you haven't already read the movie synopsis...read it here...it's pretty short...

This movie definitely moved me...a lot of parts...I had to wipe off my tears, I think 3 times throughout the movie...which is another record...but it's really nothing big or spectucular....the movie's really simple....which is commonly known as boring....(to most people anyway)..but it's the simplicity of the movie that touches my heart....

The concept is really simple...the movie merely showed a lonely widowed editor (with a Alzheimers-stricken mother), a couple (with a overly jealous boyfriend)....a old waiter who believes that the boyfriend of the couple is his wife reincarnation....and a fella who broke his hand so as to attend the christmas party at the A&E department....it merely showed how they spend their christmas eve and christmas...

But simple as it seems...there is more to it...but still...it's not an overdose that it becomes cheesy like most movies...it doesn't lose its simplicity...and if you get what I tried to say there....kudos to you...cause I'm finding it hard to put down what I feel in words...

But the main point is....these ordinary people....had some really simple encouters...or stories....and putting everything together...it becomes extraordinary...

Just one short example....

This guy..the one who broke his arm so that he can attend the Christmas Party at the A&E department....well...it seems pretty stupid this whole plot....he just keep claiming that at the age of 14...he broke his nose...and was admitted...and the A&E department threw a Christmas party...the best he had attended of all parties....so he wanna relive it...

So at first..I was like this is kind of a dumb subplot....but in the end...the guy revealed to the hospital therapist that he was abused as a child....his mum too...by his dad....so that christmas when he was 14....he finally had enough of all these abuse....and told his dad to "stop it!"...which of course caused his dad to beat him till his nose is broken...he was admitted to the hospital....and he had the best times of his life ever...that's why he is so desperately wanting to relive that experience...

And to add on to his tragic life...his mum never called him again...she never picked him up from the hospital...nothing...he felt like his mum chose his abuser dad over him...so in other words this guy seriously lacks love...

So I thought..ok...closure on this guy...his subplot is over...but then the therapist added...."maybe she was glad that you finally got away from your dad...she was happy for you..." and urged him to contact his mum whom he had refused to do so for many years....and the next part is predictable though...he came out of the hospital smiling...

So this...yea...it does sounds corny and cheesy...but this is only one of the subplots...and the execution of the idea is very important...I did not express it very well using my words...but the director did a great job in expressing the plots of the various characters in the movie..subtlely...bit by bit....slowly...so that it doesn't become cheesy in the end...

I think I am seriously starting to ramble now....I guess I shall stop here before I destroy the whole movie by my nonsensical rambles....

The point is...don't watch "Prime" if you intend to...and do catch "Noel" if you have time..the last show is 7 pm on 7th Dec (Wed) at Plaza Singapura.... :)

No comments: