Friday, December 23, 2005

Pointless Nostalgic

//Pointless Nostalgic//

Thoughts running 'round my head today
Times from the past popping up
Where they're from I don't know...
- Jamie Cullum (Pointless Nostalgic)

My mum was talking about the funny things we (my siblings and I) did when we were younger that day when we were playing Mahjong...

There are A LOT of things that my mum talked about that I don't remember at all...when I look back on my 16 years...there are just some random images/scenarios that kept playing back and back again...

And when I say random, I really mean random, just like the lyrics "Where they're from I don't know"...I remembered I was waiting outside the toilet for my friends who went to the toilet at Causeway Point (on my 14th birthday), but I can't remember what else we did that day, like what movie we watched, etc...

I remembered one the first day of school in kindergarden, I ate Honeystar for breakfast, and the next thing I remembered was we had to colour an elephant, and I accidently coloured the whole elephant (including the eyes) black, and I ended up crying like mad...but I can't remember what else happened that day during lesson...

I can remember Teocc's lesson on how the heart works, how I nearly fell asleep, how animated she appeared during the lesson, using her fists to represent the atrium and ventricle, but I can't remember too much about her other lessons...

First day of school in Hwa Chong, I don't remember much, just remembered the Use-Your-Hands activity that took place in the morning...

There are too many examples....important days of my life...but I can't remember much of the important parts, I only remember some random stuff that happened that day...

It would be great to own a Pensieve (the thing Dumbledore used to store memories, and observe past events as a third party)...this way I will be able to remember much more important things of the past, instead of mundane stuff like these...

And speaking of observing past events as third party, when I go throught past events in my mind, it's always in third person (meaning I see myself in my memory..much like how the Pensieve works)...kind of weird huh? It's like suddenly, I can see what I did at that time so clearly...

When I look back on my ordinary ordinary life
I see so much magic though I missed it at the time
- Jamie Cullum (Photograph)

Looking at my old photographs, I can't help but realised I seemed to be so much livelier last time, I always remembered I was very shy, very quiet (much quieter than I am now...go imagine..)...but the photographs proved otherwise...which left me kind of confused...am I remembering all the wrong things?

With all the memory gaps that I mentioned, and me being hyperactive in the photos while I clearly remember that I was a very quiet kid...maybe I do have split personality...

Ain't thinking about love today
Lost in the sunlight walking down memory lane
Ain't thinking about you today
People from the past that I knew were slowly slipping away

- Jamie Cullum

Just went for a primary school class gathering yesterday...before the actual gathering, we were having a mass convo on MSN...discussing about who to inform who etc...and lots of names were thrown out...some of which I actually have difficulty remembering their faces or voices...indeed.."People from the past that I knew were slowly slipping away"...

In the end, 4 girls and 7 guys turned up at 1.30 for bowling, lan-gaming, arcade-ing..etc while the rest of the 5 girls turned up during steamboat dinner (cause they had to work)...which means, if you are able to do simple calculation, a grand total of 16 people turned up!! (to akf: not 17)...

This is the most people we had for a class gathering ever since we graduated....For one, I haven't seen Ming Jun, Carmen & Weiwen (though I do see her at the bus stop sometimes, but never really talked much face to face) for a long long time...but still...Chin Liang is the ultimate I guessed, the last time I saw him was in secondary 1 CNY (though I don't remember seeing him though he claimed he came, another mistake in my memory?)...and I can't believe I actually called him that day to ask him to come for the gathering...I was even worried if he will go "huh?" when I tell him I'm kay siong on the phone...

Gathering turned out to be quite fun...played bowling...we were mostly noobs..I managed to maintain my 70-80+ scores...played LAN (dota) later for the first time in my life...(yes..i'm not joking)...totally dun understand what's going on till we're about to end the game (which in other words till my team is about to lose)...Played pool with ming jun and weiwen later (I teamed up with mark)...we had a 3 ball advantage yet still ended up losing after we hit both the white and black ball in the end...

During the dinner, it was like Survivor Amazon: Battle of the Sexes, girls one gang, guys one gang...but like some others have mentioned...this is indeed the most interaction we ever had during a class gathering (in the sense that we do talk more than usual...) Topics were mainly "So what JC you going?" or "So what subjects you taking next year?" or "What CCA you joining?" with a few other stuff here and there like part-time work etc...

I wonder when will we meet again as a class...they were saying we should meet after the first 3 months after the O Level results are released so we can have another round of "So what JC you going"...lol, but whenever that will be, I do believe that we will definitely have another gathering in the future...relationship with primary school friends may not be as good as it used to be in when we were studying together, but friends like these don't just disappear from your life just like that...so I'm pretty confident...

Reminiscing my cares away
Wishing I could go back and change the points that were low
Till I realize that life's meant to be
Photographs lost in time are all I see
A pointless nostalgic - that's me
- Jamie Cullum (Pointless Nostalgic)

* I love this song "Pointless Nostalgic"...
** Imagine七月歌台 but they are singing Christmas carols (even the emcee speaks in Chinese)...that's what's happening downstairs now...sense of Dejavu...this had been the case every year since I moved here...

No comments: