Friday, December 23, 2005

Christmas Song Part III: Do They Know It's Christmas



//Christmas Song Part III: Do They Know It's Christmas//

YC sent me this song last year during Christmas.

The version that he sent me is by Band Aid 2004 version (the original version was released in Nov 1984).

The original version was sung by singers like Phil Collins, U2, Wham!, etc...and the latest version includes Dido, Robbie Williams, Joss Stone, Bono (from U2), Will Young, etc...

The record (both the original one and the one that was released in 2004) was supposed to help raise money for the poor in Africa. To know more, click here..

I've never heard the original version before, but for the version that YC sent me, I didn't particularly like the melody of the song very much (it is decent though).

The lyrics, on the other hand, was very well-written in my opinion. Well written not in the sense that it is poetic or has a very profound meaning, etc, but well written in the sense that it is able to let fortunate people like you and I see what life is like on the other side, with lyrics like:

At Christmas time it's hard, but when you're having fun
There's a world outside your window
And it's a world of dread and fear
Where the only water flowing is the bitter sting of tears
And the Christmas bells that ring there are the clanging chimes of doom
Well tonight thank God it's them instead of you

And there won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time
The greatest gift they'll get this year is life
Where nothing ever grows
No rain nor rivers flow
Do they know it's Christmas time at all?
- Band Aid 20

The new version has this little rap part in the middle which I thought spoilt the whole song, but other than this little glitch, it's a pretty good song for me.

No comments: