Saturday, December 03, 2005

Jamie Meets Joss

//Jamie Meets Joss//



He sings Jazz.
She sings Soul.

2 singers with very different styles...so why are they both appearing in my blog at the same time?

Bought Jamie Cullum's album "Catching Tales" last week (before I left for Thailand)...didn't really love the album after listening to it for the first time...but it's the kind of album that gets better every time you listen to it...and it's very 耐听...

Which reminds me of Joss Stone's album which I had for a long time...hated her first album when I first listened to it...but the more I listen to it...the better it gets....and it's the same case for her second album....

And the magical part of Joss Stone's first album is that the very first track..."The Chokin' Kind"...the moment she open her mouth...that voice is...it just captures my attention immediately from whatever I'm doing...it's magical...

I must say that the strength about Joss Stone's album (both) are not the songs...but her voice...it's amazing...

A lot of people said that she sounded like a black...cause she sings with so much soul...but I don't really agree....but I've got to agree she sings with her emotion and her voice is very soulful indeed...

And I read in one of her interviews that she said she can't do a lot with her voice..."I can't really do much with my voice...I can't sing really high like Mariah Carey...or do runs after runs with my voice like Beyonce..." But I feel that the tone of her voice itself is enough to capture the attention of the listener...she don't need to shriek like some banshee to do that...

Though her first album is totally made up of covers (of old not very well known soul songs)....she manage to put a comtemporary twist to the song with her voice (and of course with the arrangment of the song)...

Her second album composes of all new tracks...the songs are not very strong, they are catchy but forgettable...if given to any other singers...it would probably have sounded average...but once again, she added life to the songs...her voice sounded very pure on the tracks, not much signs of tampering using any digital device...

I would think that to fully appreciate and enjoy her album...it would be better to listen to it using ear phones....you would be totally immerse in her voice...and it reaches right to your heart....

Jamie Cullum's album on the other hand...had a great deal of good tracks...his voice is not bad too...it sounds soothing in the slow tracks...playful in the more uptempo tracks...and he conveys the emotion of the song very very well...

His voice is raspy round the edges...very pleasant to the ears...and most importantly...it allows him to emote well...one common thing that I observed in all 3 albums is the pureness of their voice...unlike many pop singers nowadays...Jamie and Joss's voices sound very pure on the tracks...though there are a few minor glitches here and there with their vocals on certain tracks...imperfection just made the album more perfect (if it makes any sense to you...)

If you're feeling bored now...or is thinking of buying some good musics...I strongly recommend this 3 albums...

Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions (released quite long ago..)
Joss Stone - Mind, Body & Soul (released quite long ago too)
Jamie Cullum - Catching Tales

No comments: