Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Life Of A Teacher

//Life Of A Teacher//

Hmm...so I heard that some of my classmates have found themselves jobs for the holiday...I'm not so hardworking...I want to enjoy this 2 months of the holiday...which I am for once totally free....

Not exactly totally...in fact yesterday and the day before (Mon & Tue)...I was at ACS (Junior)...experiencing the "life of a teacher"...

My chinese drama teacher (I was in chinese drama in pri sch...), whom I still keep in contact with, teaches at ACS too, and every holiday, she would organise such chinese drama camp (day camp)...

So in the June hols, she called me to go down to help out....I went...and it was a horrible experience...maybe I am too used to uniform group style of training...talking to the kids asking to settle down or to keep quiet became MISSION IMPOSSIBLE...they really don't listen to instructions at all...can you imagine taking care of 15-18 hyperactive kids...

The outrageous things that they do ranges from showing me the "Loser" sign (which I don't care) to pouring their drinks into each other's plate during lunch...fortunately I only helped out for 1 day out of the 2 in June...

So Nov holidays...she needs help again...so I agreed to help again...this time round, maybe I'm more prepared or something...but it was a MUCH better experience...maybe this group that I took care of this time is better behaved or something....in fact my HP is now filled with their photos...haha...but some of them look really adorable...

So what do I do there? Basically, there are 6 groups, and I took care of 1 group named "芒果园" (all groups are named after fruits)...it may seem surprising, but most of them can't even converse using chinese properly, I mean half my group don't know what is "芒果"....(maybe that's why their parents sent them for this camp)...

So "taking care" of the group basically includes coming up of a cheer for them...I mean you don't expect a 9 year old to come up with cheers themselves etc right? So I came up with a "brilliant" cheer for my group...

芒果好,芒果妙
芒果芒果呱呱叫!!!

This may sound a little simple...but seriously, primary school kids are pretty simple minded (at least all those I saw in ACS)...If you give them slightly more complicated cheer with more words..no way will they be able to do the cheer together as a group....

But never underestimate them too...cause they don't like this cheer...and made some amendments to the cheer....to this:

芒果好,芒果妙
芒果被我们吃掉!!!
Mmm....好吃!!!!!!!

Haha...pretty lame huh? But they loved it...

Other than all these..most of the other activities are taken by us, the group leaders...but the kids call us 老师 though....so basically some activities includes putting up a short performance of 后羿射日...making books....making masks...making toys...etc...

But seriously...they can't do any of the above by themselves....so we have to do all the job for them...for eg...during the mask making..this is what happen...

We will teach them to draw 2 eyes and cut out the eyes....

Then most will rip their paper bags apart and we will end up cutting their "eyes" for them...

Then I will be sitting there will all the coloured paper...and a pair of scissors...and they will come running to me saying...

"老师老师,我要红色的头发!"
"老师老师,我要帽子!"
"老师老师,我要鼻子!"
"老师老师,我要嘴巴!"

Then I will sit there cutting out all these using the coloured paper for them....When time's up....I will try to line them up in 2s....with much difficulty like usual....then I will proceed to sweep the floor which is full of rubbish from the activity just now....

And actually I find it quite enjoyable...not the cleaning up of course...but the fact that they will come runnig to me shouting "老师老师,我要XYZ" makes me feel good...cause other than these times...the other times I will be shouting my lungs out to get them to sit down....get them to line up in 2s...and of course all these shouting won't be heard by any of them...they have selective hearing....

It's only during these activities, like mask making...book making...toy making etc...that they actually do sit down and listen...and other than giving me their attention....they actually fight for my attention...haha...pretty ego boosting...

One of my friend once told me I should be a teacher...maybe I will go be a primary school teacher some day...

No comments: