Saturday, May 27, 2006

Taekwondo

//Taekwondo//

The competition's over.

The yellow belts didn't win anything. Results was quite expected actually, but no doubt we still feel disappointed. For me, it's not really cause we didn't win anything, since we didn't expect to win anything in the first place (for the team ponsei (sp?) tt is), but I'm more disappointed cause we could have if we had train harder.

Our morale was pretty low right from the beginning because we just couldn't coordinate at all at first, and it only start to get slightly better at the last 2 training. We keep telling ourselves we are screwed, we can't win (which is actually true based on our performance during normal training), so I guess you can call it a self-fulfulling prophecy. We didn't even have any additional self-training, and we didn't even train that hard during normal training. We did work a little bit harder during the last 2 training, but I guess all was too late.

The sad thing is, the participants for yellow belt is so little as compared to the other belt level. That's why I said the team could have won if we trained harder and believed in ourselves more. I mean 6 choose 4? A minimum bronze could be obtained that easily in yellow belt team ponsei if you compare to white belt (with at least 10 teams) and green belt (with at least 10 teams too), yet at least one team from both HC white and green belt team got into the final 4. The other 2 white and green belt team that didn't get in, well it's not cause of lack of effort, it's simply cause competition is too fierce.

Though we didn't walk away with anything, I do feel inspired to train harder now...and be more committed to the CCA..looking at the seniors training so hard doesn't mean much to me initially, but after today, I finally see why they do. They basically won all (except one) of the medals to help Hwa Chong clinch the overall second position.

If I attend training religiously every week without fail, and go for all grading and pass them, I should be blue belt by this time next year, and if you come to think of it, you will compete with same batch of people that competed with you this year, because the grading is standardised throughout the nation, so as you increase in level, they should too. Which means, if no accidents or anything take place, competition for me next year should be with the same few people, and when I say few, I do mean few (relatively as compared to other belt larz). It's like 32 yellow belt as opposed to 96 white belts today. I am really inspired to train harder.

But then again, why would we wanna participate in this competition next year? "Remove and do not post any form of explicit negative comments re the competition yest online" I received this sms just now. Since that's the case, I shall be a good boy and remove what I posted yesterday, since it is under the "explicit negative comments" category. But you can read more about it here..there's a rather interesting story there...

But still, competition or not, I am inspired to train harder. The only question is how long will this "inspiration" last. I really hope it can last, at least through my 2 years in HC. My passion for the sports may have increase, but the sense of attachment is still not there. I hate the fact tt TKD and Interact are both such huge CCAs with so many members. I still miss SJAB, esp my squad, being small is actually good, at least I feel like I know everyone. In TKD and Interact, there's just so many people, and I don't even feel like getting to know everyone, especially when I already know quite a lot of people. So I tend to stick with these people, and just don't bother to get to know the people I don't know.

Shall stop here, somehow my fingers are acheing too, apart from my leg, which is acheing like mad, I have to spray the "deep heating rub" throughout the competition to allow myself to kick...if not I can't even kick, gotta say that it's very effective though.

No comments: