Thursday, April 27, 2006

High & Low

//High & Low//

"There are 4 double promotions, and 2 people who failed."

At that moment, I was damn worried.

On the grading day itself, I did the pattern right, but there seemed to be something wrong with the way I clench my fist (and I do realise I clenched my fist wrongly that day). The judge was even pointing at me holding his fist, indicating the mistake in the way I clenched my fist. So I was sort of expecting him to ask me to re-do, but he did not, so it left me wondering, "Is that mistake so basic that he just failed me immediately, or is it so minor that he did not really care?"

Back to the annoucnment, so 2 poor souls failed, and I was very worried that it would be me. Afterall, it would mean 25 bucks wasted just like that. What's more, he told us that there are 4 double promotions and NO failure the week before, which is probably the reason why I only start freaking out right before the announcment.

4 names were announced, 3 guy and 1 girl got their double promotion, they stood up, everyone clapped. (which by the way is shocking in its own way too since he said all 4 double promos are guys).

"Now for the 2 who failed."

My heart was thumping like mad.

"Seah Kay Siong"....

Niiiiicee...I failed my grading. I raised my hand, not expecting him to ask me to stand like those 4 who got double promos, afterall, it was embarassing enough to fail already. The first thing that flashed through my mind is "25 bucks wasted..."

"Stand up larz...let everyone see your face"

Ok lor, fail already still wanna malu me somemore, that's really considerate, wonderful and nice of him...

I was really sad and disappointed about the results, but not really that surprised since I did think that there is a remote possiblity that people may fail despite what all the rest said. My mood was at a all time low....

The next name was read out, the poor guy felt that same way I do I guess from the way he reluctanly stood up.

"Aiyah, all 6 of you guys got double promotion larz"

In a matter of 5 seconds give or take, I went from failing to getting double promotions. If you want to know what a emotional roller coaster feels like, this is it.

I did not really get what he said at that moment cause I was too busy indulging in self-pity and saddness. My friends around me all started congratulating me and stuff, and I did not even smiled or show any signs of happiness about the good news, cause I wasn't really amused by the joke.

Am I happy about the double promotion? Of course! It would save me 25 bucks so why shound't I be?

But looking around, a lot of really good people with great kicks, good flexibility, huge passion and enthusiasm didn't get it. And I have none of those, I am neither passionate, enthusiastic or talented at it at all, but I admit I did have luck I guess. Afterall, the grading grades none of those, so being a yellow belt means nothing if you still can't kick well. Now things are expected, and I don't think I can live up to that expectations.

But seriously, I think my whinning about getting a double promotions would stop here...like my friends said, I should be happy about it rather than bitching about it. Let's see where this would take me...

No comments: