Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Ironic

//Ironic//

Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole damn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well isn't this nice..."
And isn't it ironic...dontcha think
- Alanis Morissette


Today, I finally got back my end of year English and Chinese Papers. Shockingly, I did pretty well in English...

Before the exams, I was in the English remedial class (cause my English sucks), I remember Mdm Loke said this during the last remedial class before exam:

"In such a short amount of time, what you can do to improve your essay is limited, other than checking your essay to minimise language errors, probably you can read the sample essays and borrow chunks of ideas if necessary. What can really make a difference is the comprehension. The paper is actually not very hard, as long as you focus and answer the question, and don't bungle up on the day itself, you should be fine."

So I did what she said, check my work, read sample essays, read the questions carefully for the comprehension, etc. And the results is exactly the opposite of what she predicted:

Composition: 27/30 (yes I am shocked too)
Stimulus Qns: 15/20 (not too bad..)
Comprehension: 14/25 (nearly failed...)
Summary: 19/25 (better than my normal standards)
Total:75/100 (my first A1 in 4 years)

I am especially shocked with the compo results, I admit I felt good about that compo after finishing it, but I never expected such results, I was expecting at most a 23. Well, but this is life, full of surprises and ironies, especially since I scored so badly for comprehension which she said was supposed to be easier, and also which I felt that I have a better chance at scoring, yet I scored so high for composition (one of the highest in class and my highest for this year and last year, average score for my compo is below 20)

This reminds me of Alanis Morisette 's song "Ironic":

Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up

In your face

A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...dontcha think

For full lyrics, click
here

As for Chinese, I got full marks of my first few sections, but screwed up badly for summary. And I did not do very well for paper 1 too, in fact I have been sucking in paper 1 since the year begins....

有鉴于此,本人决定运用华文完成剩下的内容。

我还记得我在考试卷1当天,我对于我的应用文信心满满,不到半个小时我就写完了,而且我很有把握,内容8分都拿满了。

到了作文的时候,我整个人开始晕晕的,无法集中精神,一边写女佣杀害顾主的原因,鼻涕一边遍流个不停,烦死人了。我写到一半,还停了2分钟休息,搞到最后我乱写一通,写到连我自己都不知道在写什么。最后,我还搞到不够时间,草草了事随便总结。

考完后,我知道分数一定好不到哪里去,也不知是太过难过或是什么其他原因,那天下午我吃了一盘鸡丝面和一盘鸡丝馃条,还不觉得怎么饱...

今天拿回成绩,作文我拿了46分,不算特别好,但也没有我想像差,跟我平时的作文成绩没什么大差别,但我的应用文只拿了13分,原因就只因为我把辅导中心的负责人称为“院长”,格式的2分就这样飞走了。而且我也忘了写建议,内容又2分不见了...

真是讽刺(ironic-根据汉神翻译),有把握的一塌糊涂,没把握的反而没想像的差,这就是人生吧...

撇开这不谈,我对于我的读者有个忠告:
吃饭时不要和朋友开玩笑,边吃边笑对身体不好,而且也是很痛苦的事,最后很可能还会笑到想上厕所...

Hmm...I also don't know what I'm talking about...must be the food that I ate just now...

The Yuki Yaki at Marina Square is not bad, nice ambience, excellent staff, and best of all, there is very few people there, so you can basically have the whole place to yourself most of the time, be as crazy as you want and no one will care...

But stiil, no matter how good the outlet is, life has some sort of divine way to make sure it is never perfect...halfway through the meal, one of the staff came and told us there is some sort of promotion from tomorrow (26/10) onwards, $12.90 (no +) for the plus buffet lunch and dinner for weekdays and for weekend lunch. (while we paid $15.10 after using the coupon), only if we had decided to come one day later...though it is only 2 bucks...

Isn't it ironic...

No comments: