Tuesday, December 25, 2007

NS Life

//NS Life//

It's been 10 days since I enlisted.

Lots of people has sms-ed me to wish me luck for NS, and many have asked me how's NS whenever they see me online when I bookout. I'm really touched and it really means a lot to me...but a lot of times, I really don't know how to reply.

To quote from the letter I received from the previous person sleeping in the bed I'm sleeping on now in the bunk "BMT is not as fun as people make it out to be, but it is certainly no hell also."

I mean there would definitely be some shit times in there, like certain times when I can't cope with certain physical training and so on. But there are definitely moments inside that can make my day too, like having more admin time than usual, or when we encourage each other to do more pullups during our free time even though our muscle already aches like mad.

I didn't adapt quite as well as I thought I would initially. I was mentally prepared for a lot of things, like the regimentation of army life, the vulgarities from the commanders and so on. What I didn't expect is how a lack of friends can put a toll on my mind.

I really miss my family and friends in there. I have always coped rather well with home sickness issues whenever I have to leave my home for a extended period of time. But whatever the situation may be, I still had my friends with me. Like in Taiwan, I'm still surrounded by people I know, and even during the home stay, I was very much welcomed by my buddy's family.

That's what I didn't anticipate in NS, at least for the first couple of days. It was rather lonely, and I just can't deal with that very well. What's worse is I usually take a long time to warm up to people, so it feels even worse when I see other people starting to chat around more, getting along better.

I remembered I felt that way back in sec 1 too. It took me weeks to adjust to secondary school life.

And to make matters worse, it's a friggin' 13 week programme. Unlike St John camps or stuff like that, the whole BMT lasts for so long, and it just seems to never end, especially during the first few days.

Right now, I have already booked out twice, and I'm booking in soon. And just like I mentioned it's been 10 days since I enlisted. I'm definitely getting along much much better with my bunkmates and platoon mates right now. That's probably why I was happier the last couple of days. (or maybe it was the thought of booking on Christmas) Whatever it is, I'm just glad that I'm finally starting to get used to NS life.

On a side note, I must say I spent my bookout days rather efficiently. Met up with ever, wilson & xinyi for KBox yesterday from 11 to 2, and went to watch "Alvin & The Chipmunks" with the TIP people after that, followed by watching "National Treasure" with the St John people. Then I went back to meet the TIP people for Christmas countdown.

But I was left with a slight fever, and a sorethroat now a few hours before booking in. I'm not exactly thrilled about it, cause I just feel feverish, with the generalised body aches you get for fever, but my temperature is not above 37.5 degrees, so this means I can't go to see the Medical Officer (MO). So I'm really praying that I will get well really soon.

I just changed my countdown timer on my comp again, now I'm counting down to POP (Passing Out Parade).

77 days 6 hours 20 mins to POP!

No comments: