Monday, May 19, 2008

Choices

//Choices//

Clinton or Obama?

NTU or NUS?

It's kind of funny how things turned out, considering the fact that I wasn't even thinking about NUS 2 months ago when I applied for university.

I spent days reading about the modules in mass comm for NTU and other courses like NTU biz, etc, and spent a lot of time debating on which course I should put as my first choice and so on. And I finally chose mass comm as my first choice after much delibration.

NUS...the whole application probably took me half an hour (inclusive of reading about the modules in the various courses)...cause..it has always been a backup for me, I knew for sure at that time I wanted either NTU mass comm or NTU biz. So who cares about NUS, I just randomly applied for some courses, and some double degree courses.

Then came the interview, I was asked to go for an interview for the ddp in NUS that I applied for. I mean, I didn't even remember that I applied for some DDP when I signed up for that interview. I was actually thinking "great..bookout!" When I finally remembered that I applied for that DDP, I actually had the mentality of using that interview as an preparation for my mass comm interview in NTU which I deemed more important. So you can probably tell that I totally didn't even try to prepare myself mentally for that interview.

Even when the acceptance letters came for both university, I was so ready to accept mass comm in NTU. But over the past week or so, I've been receiving advices from quite some people, from friends to university prof to even friend's bosses. And I can say they definitely made a very very strong case for NUS's double degree programme.

I mean, I admit, I am more inclined towards NUS now. But still, there are so much to take into consideration and so much holding me back from accepting NUS right now, like is the extra year for the DDP worth it, will I be able to cope with the workload, and most importantly, the fact that NTU mass comm has been my choice since the beginning, made it very hard for me to reject it now. It's like abandoning something you've believed in for so long. At the same time, it's very hard to reject NUS too, since apparently it's very very hard to get into the DDP.

Everyone I've asked have given me some pretty good advice I think, but it's their personal opinion afterall, like a friend actually told me that he believed it doesn't matter what degree one end up with, if that person's good, he/she won't have trouble finding a very decent job (which is one of the reason for rejecting mass comm, cause apparently, job prospects of mass comm graduate is not too promising).

He's not entirely wrong to say that, but does it apply to me? I guess I just have to take in all the advices I received, process them and decide if it applies to me.

NTU's mass comm is like Clinton, more established and experienced and started with more support..but gradually losing support till she finally lags behind. NUS's DDP on the other hand, is like Obama, new (which is always a scary thing), but he managed to win over the supporters gradually and is now leading.

Actually to be honest, I think I've made up my mind. I'm just not committed to my decision 100%. I am still holding on, hoping that maybe between now and 2nd June, there would be some dramatic happenings that would sway me to the other side, just like how Clinton refuses to give up although all odds are against her.

That's just me I guess. Indecisive and can't commit.

On a totally unrelated note, 1SIR, here I come! The fact that I'm going to see familiar faces in a totally unfamiliar environment does comfort me a little, but still, I'm worried like hell. Let's just hope I'm worrying over nothing, and things will turn up fantastic.

No comments: