Saturday, April 14, 2007

Weird Me

//Weird Me//

So I was tagged by Minghao to do this "6 weird things about me" game. I think the title is self-explanatory.

Actually I wanted to write this entry once I knew I was tagged (which was a few days away), but I realised there's not a lot of weird things about me that my friends don't already know, but since I really can't think of anything else to write, this is just for those who don't know me that well...

1) I suffer from sleep paralysis (or hypnagogic paralysis to be exact)
Sometimes before I sleep, or rather in the process of falling asleep, while I'm half awake half asleep, I will suddenly be paralysed, as in I know I'm still awake, but I couldn't move my body, I couldn't shout. So I'm basically I'm just lying there, paralysed.

The paralysis usually lasts for a couple of minutes, but I remember there was once it lasted quite long, for like an hour? But that was when I was really young.

Well, according to Chinese superstition, this kind of thing is called "Bei gui ya"...I didn't really bother going to find out what this condition is actually called until recently, when I went on Wiki and read about it here.

Apparently my father, mother and sister all have this condition too, the only one in the family that is free from it is my brother. So I was quite shocked when my friends all told me that they never had this kind of sleep paralysis experience before. I thought it was rather common.

2) I am obssessed with Idol shows around the world.
I think this one is no surprise to most people who know me, but it's still something weird about me. As of now, after deleting some of the idol video files from my computer, I got 18.2 GB of Idol videos on my com now. The Idol show videos I got include shows from America (6 seasons), Canada (3 seasons), Australia (4 seasons), Malaysia (2 seasons), Singapore (2 seasons), Holland (1 season), UK (1 season), and miscellenous stuff from New Zealand, and countries I can't even name.

3) I don't watch a locally produced show anymore
I simply don't like local production, be it movie or TV Show. The only locally-produced show I watch now is Project Superstar/Campus Superstar (which can be linked to my obsession with Idol shows I guess).

I can't even remember the last local TV show I watch on a regular basis...I think I stopped watching after Primary school. The last local movie I watched was "Money Not Enough". I did not catch "I Not Stupid" or any of the other Jack Neo's production. It was kind of funny when I went over to Taiwan, and ALL the taiwan students there watched "I Not Stupid" before, while me, being a Singapore haven't.

4) I used to believe in the "End Of The World" prophecy kind of thing
I remember when I was in primary 2 (1997), my cousin told me about this doomsday prophecy thing, that the world will end in year 2000. I actually believed him and got really scared, sad and worried for the next few months, like I would think about it almost every night before I sleep.

When I told my mum about it, she just laughed at me, and told me a story of her own (which I'm too lazy to type), and convinced me not to worry about such unnecessary things.

Now, I obviously don't really care much about these prophecies stuff. But every now and then, I will still think about the world ending. Like when there's a really heavy rain, lightning and thunder gets really bad, I will wonder if it's a sign that the world is going to end. Or when I hear strange loud noises (probably caused by air planes, or fireworks..haha) I will wonder if the aliens are gonna invade us (i.e War of the worlds).

5) I enjoy Geography and History.
Kind of weird that I chose Economics as my contrasting subject when I do like Geography and History. The funny thing here is I never realised I like these 2 subjects until recently. Maybe in secondary school, I was too caught up in getting good grades for these subjects that I study for the sake of studying. But looking back now, I realised I really did thoroughly enjoyed all the Geography modules I took in sec 3 and 4, and even the History module on WWII.

At least I find myself reading chapters that are not tested in that thick thick history text book last time, and spending hours reading about geography-related stuff that are not tested. You will never find me reading Appendices of Bio notes (unless it is absolutely necessary).

6) I believe in aliens, and ghost.
I guess I will just lump everything together. Nothing weird, but I just believe in the existence of ghosts, and aliens UFOs and stuff like that. I used to go the library to borrow books on UFOs, supernatural occurence like sightings of ghosts and stuff to read. Ironically, I hate to watch horror movie.

Won't tag anyone in particular, you can just do this if you're bored, and said that I tagged you.

No comments: